Recognising, preventing and treating your pet's arthritis the natural way! - 4aPet
Taking care of your pet's joint health and mobility
While your poor fur baby used to run majestically through bushes and over the hills, they're now having difficulty standing up, let alone walking! Have you notice that they're not even interested in playing with you anymore? Those easy strolls have become a slow, painful struggle, and let's not even mention the many failed attempts at getting up and down stairs. Does this sound like your pet?
There are many forms of pet arthritis but the most common is degenerative joint disease (DJD), also known as osteoarthritis, which is associated with age and inflammation. The odds that your pet may suffer from degenerative joint disease is fairly high! For many years it was believed to be a common 'wear and tear' disease that occurs after years of cartilage degeneration, due to repetitive movements and strenuous activity. While this stands true, more recent studies show that chronic, low-grade inflammation may also be a huge culprit! This occurs when the immune system starts producing proteins that attack the joints.
The good news is that there are various ways to prevent osteoarthritis (or prolong the onset), and there are natural and safe ways to treat it! You no longer have to turn to pharmaceutical or synthetic medication, which may have negative side effects on your pet's health. While prescription anti-inflammatory drugs, including NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), cortisone and other prescription medications for joint problems can offer some relief, side effects can include digestive, heart, adrenal and kidney problems. Natural remedies have many decades of traditional and effective use in relieving inflammation and pain, without unwanted side effects!
Let's take a look at the signs of arthritis in dogs and cats, ways of preventing it and how to treat it naturally.
Symptoms of osteoarthritis
- Reduced mobility
- Difficulty getting up from resting position or laying down
- Weight gain
- Whimpering or groaning
- Having a hard time getting up/downstairs or in/out the car
- Acting withdrawn or irritable (especially in cats)
- Soreness when touched
Preventing and treating osteoarthritis naturally
There are many EASY ways to prevent your dog and cat from developing some form of arthritis later on in their lives. These simple suggestions could save your pet from a lot of pain, and save you from a lot of worry!
- If your fur baby sustains any type of injury at some point in their lives, take them to a pet chiropractor to realign their spine and prevent any further injury or secondary symptoms. Many cases of pet arthritis stem from spinal injuries or diseases.
- Just as regular massage is highly beneficial for humans, the benefits apply to animals, too! Treat your pet to regular massages with this Buchu Natural Anti-inflammatory Moisturising Oil For Pets, to stimulate healthy circulation throughout their body, reduce inflammation and speed up cell regeneration. Regular massage also provides your pet with relaxation and an overall sense of well-being.
- Encourage your dog to swim (or do aqua-therapy) as a form of low-impact exercise. It will improve their cardiovascular health, range of motion, joint health and mobility!
Avoid over-vaccinating your pet! This is a controversial issue, so do your
homework and research! Vaccines contain foreign particles and heavy metals such as aluminium and mercury which exaggerate an immune response. Along with an exaggerated immune response, chronic inflammation of the gut and body may be stimulated, which in turn may contribute to arthritis later in life!
- Adding certain supplements to your pet’s diet can greatly reduce the risk of them developing any joint problems. Additionally, if your pet already suffers from arthritis, including these supplements in their diet can help reduce their symptoms drastically and naturally, without turning to prescription drugs:
- Diatomaceous Earth: Certified 100% organic supplement that supports joint, cartilage, blood vessel and bone health! Simply sprinkle over their food.
- Nat Phos Tissue Salts: Supports joint and kidney health. Relieves painful joints associated with pet arthritis. Lactose and sugar-free (diabetic, vegan & vegetarian-friendly)!
- Arthro-Synergy Tissue Salts Blend: Regular use helps to ease pain, reduce stiffness & improve mobility in people and pets. Safe to use with other joint supplements as well as prescription drugs! Lactose & sugar-free (vegan, vegetarian & diabetic friendly).
- Healing Organic CBD Oil: Formulated especially for pets! Improves vitality, reduces inflammation and joint pain, and reduces symptoms of aggression and irritability! May be mixed with food for easy dosage.
- Omega Fish Oil: A highly concentrated, safe omega supplement for your pets, taken as a daily supplement for joints, skin and fur.
- MobiLive Pets: Natural herbal joint pain and stiffness relief for dogs and cats! It's an all-natural herbal anti-inflammatory formula that soothes arthritis symptoms, improved mobility and reduces inflammation.
- Joint Formula: Supports joint health naturally! Contains a blend of all-natural herbs and nutrients formulated to nutritionally support stiff, old or arthritic pets.
Crede Vegan Flaxseed Oil: Excellent source of Omega 3-6-9 to reduce
Have a look at our all-natural herbal & homeopathic remedies for an alternative treatment for muscle and joint pain in dogs & cats without the side effects!