No products in the cart

Variant title
[item_qty] $0.00
happy dog lying on grass

Easter can be dangerous for dogs - 13 things to look out for to protect your pet

It's not just chocolate that can be potentially hazardous for our four-legged friends. Here are 13 things to look out for to protect your pet dog this Easter.

It's not just chocolate that can be potentially hazardous for our four-legged friends. Here are 13 things to look out for to protect your pet dog this Easter.

The Easter bunny, egg hunts, a lovely lamb dinner and of course, hot cross buns.

When it comes to treats at Easter time, there's plenty to be enjoyed.

But while the Easter spread might be a delicious one for us humans, for our dogs, it can be one of the most dangerous times of the year.

It's not just chocolate that can be potentially hazardous for our four-legged friends, our sister site TeamDogs reports.

You might not have considered that other human treats, and even some flowering bulbs or plants could be poisonous if ingested by our pet pooches.

Check out our list below list of potential dangers to look out for. That way, you and your dog are guaranteed to have an egg-cellent Easter.

Chocolate

Chocolate should never be given to dogs
Chocolate should never be given to dogs

Dogs do not metabolise theobromine, essentially, it's poisonous for them and can cause severe illness and even death.

Dogs should never be fed chocolate of any kind or in any amount. All chocolate should be kept out of reach of your dog - that includes chocolate biscuits, cocoa powder and hot chocolate too.

If your dog does accidentally eat some chocolate, take it to the vet immediately.

Hot Cross Buns

Hot cross buns can be dangerous for your dog
Hot cross buns are a no-no

You might think nothing of tearing off a piece of your hot cross bun and feeding it to your hungry dog.

But don't!

These fruity buns often contain raisins, currants or sultanas - all toxic for our pooches. Even a piece of dough you might think is free from these fruits could have traces of them hidden inside.

If eaten they can cause gut problems and in serious cases, kidney failure or even death, so best to keep them hidden in a cupboard or bread bin to stop your pooch getting their paws on them.

Flowers and plants

Daffodils are toxic for dogs
Daffodils are pretty, but toxic if your dog gets their paws on them

We all love brightening up our homes with a bit of colour, and spring is the perfect time to decorate our rooms with vases of daffodils, bluebells or tulips, or plant some bulbs in the garden.

But actually, these blooms can be toxic for our dogs if they end up having a nibble.

Hyacinths and lilies also make the list, but there are many, many more.

Symptoms of flower poisoning can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling, collapsing and fitting as well as an increased heart rate and respiratory rate.

Even the water in the vase can be dangerous if your dog manages to take a sip.

Research what plants you are bringing into your home to ensure they are pet friendly. Consider spraying your plants and flowers with natural pet repellents, too.

Roast dinner

Roast dinners can be dangerous for your dog
Doggy tummies don't cope well with fatty meats

Sitting down to a lovely lamb roast on Easter Sunday can be the perfect way to celebrate the long weekend.

But if your dog is hanging around the dinner table hoping to share in the feast, resist feeding them scraps from your plate.

Fatty bits of meat can cause stomach issues in dogs.

Instead, why not prepare them their own dog-friendly Easter meal, or buy them a suitable treat to enjoy by your side while you tuck into your own dinner.

Blue cheese

Dogs can be allergic to certain cheeses, including blue cheese
Dogs can be allergic to certain cheeses, including blue cheese

A cheese board to finish off your roast dinner might seem like the perfect post-meal treat.

But if you are getting out the cheese and crackers, be aware that some can be dangerous to our pooches.

Dogs can be allergic to roquefortine C, which is found in blue cheeses such as stilton, gorgonzola and roquefort.

Sweets

Sweets can be harmful for dogs
It's not a good idea to give your dogs sweets - especially sugar-free kinds

Chocolate isn't the only treat that is bad for our pups.

Sweets, especially those advertised as sugar-free as they contain the synthetic sweetener, xylitol, which is toxic to cats and dogs.

The good news is, there are plenty of pet-friendly sweets out there on the market from reputable suppliers, so there's no need for your furry friend to be left out.

Colourful grasses

Colourful grasses can be harmful for dogs
They make pretty Easter decorations, but can be harmful for your dog

You might not realise it, but even seemingly harmless Easter decorations can cause all kinds of problems for our pooches.

Easter baskets containing colourful artificial grasses for Easter egg hunting or for decorating are usually made from plastic materials.

These can be harmful if swallowed. Instead, why not use an alternative like shredded tissue paper.

Colourful egg dyes

Painting eggs is fun, but keep them well away from your pets
Painting eggs is fun, but keep them well away from your pets

Colourful dyes or paints are great for decorating eggs ready for rolling.

But they're not so great for our pets.

If your dog consumes the dye by licking the eggs or getting their paws on the paints, it can be extremely harmful.

You can avoid the risk by using natural food colourings like beetroot, spinach and other vegetable juices.

Bins

General waste is often toxic for dogs, keep bin bags well secured
General waste is often toxic for dogs, keep bin bags well secured

It goes without saying that bags of rubbish shouldn't be left where a dog can get to them.

But it's always worth making sure anything toxic for your dog - which can be a lot of general waste items - are securely away in plastic bins that your pooch cannot get to.

Foil

Foil is dangerous for dogs
Make sure your dog can't get hold of the foil that Easter eggs are wrapped in

Most chocolate eggs - big or small - come wrapped in foil these days.

But it's not just the chocolate inside the foil that's poisonous to dogs, the foil itself is a potential hazard.

Dogs are unable to digest the foil, and if they swallow any, it can hurt their digestive systems, so best to keep any items with foil on well out of reach.

Plastic eggs

Keep any plastic eggs away from dogs
Keep any plastic eggs away from dogs

Plastic eggs might be great for kids to play with, and perfect for outdoor Easter egg hunts, but for our dogs, it will mean a lengthy trip to the vets.

If dogs swallow them whole, they may need surgery to have them removed.

But even chewing them might be problematic, as it can be a choking hazard, and sharp edges can harm your pet's internal organs.

If you are hiding plastic eggs outside, make sure your pooch won't accidentally find them first, or keep them well away from the hidden locations until they've all been successfully found.

Spring bulbs

Spring bulbs are dangerous for dogs
Keep your dogs away from spring bulbs, especially if they are growing in your garden

They make gardens and woodland areas look beautiful but all spring bulbs are poisonous to our pets. All spring bulbs and often what grows out of them are poisonous to pets.

If your dog likes to dig in the garden, make sure there is nothing like that growing in your borders or shrubbery.

They can give your dog an upset stomach, make them vomit, and make them very sleepy and wobbly.

People

Make sure your pooch isn't overwhelmed by people
Make sure your pooch isn't overwhelmed by people

Easter is a time when families traditionally come together (although this year due to lockdown restrictions it may be a little different than usual).

It's an exciting time in particular for children - especially with all the sugary treats and chocolate.

For some pets though, lots of guests and noisy children might be frightening and cause them to feel anxious.

Make sure they have a safe zone where they can escape if it all gets a bit too much, and keep your eye on children who might be a little boisterous.

What should I do if I think my dog has been poisoned?

If you're worried your dog has been poisoned, the main thing to do is act quickly.

Contact your vet if you know your dog has ingested something they shouldn't.

And of course, if they show any signs of being unwell, call the vet immediately, even if you don't necessarily know what might be causing it.

The Blue Cross says: "It’s a good idea to write down the details of anything you think your dog has ingested, when they ate/drank it, how much they have swallowed, and what symptoms they have been experiencing.

"If you have seen your dog eat something that they shouldn’t, don’t wait for symptoms to appear. Call your vet immediately and ask for their advice.”

By: Laura Davies

Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/easter-can-dangerous-dogs-13-23806722

Leave a comment

Comments have to be approved before showing up