Household Items Can Be Toxic to Pets - Veterinary Medicine at Illinois
- May 13, 2020
- Ally Cohen
By Dr. Drew Sullivan, Director, Medical District Veterinary Clinic at Illinois
I’ve been talking to a lot of clients about the common household items that can be toxic to their pets. According to data from the Animal Poison Control Center, based in Urbana, Ill., prescription human medication ranks in the top 5 toxins that harm pets. The most common meds ingested by dogs and cats include heart medications, antidepressants, and pain medications.
The comprehensive list from the ASPCA website includes:
- Prescription Human Medications – most commonly heart medications, pain medications and antidepressants
- Insecticides – most commonly occurs when cats receive flea/tick preventions and shampoos made specifically for dog use
- Over-the-Counter Human Medications and Cosmetics/Lotions/Creams – most commonly over-the-counter pain medications (naproxen, ibuprofen, and aspirin)
- Veterinary Products and Medications
- Household Products – soaps, cleaners, batteries, mothballs, glue, antifreeze
- People Food – coffee grounds, xylitol (artificial sweetener often found in gum), grapes, raisins
- Plants: Lilies, Marijuana, Sago palm, Tulip, Azalea, Oleander, Castor bean, Cyclamen, Kalanchoe, Yew, Amaryllis, Autumn crocus, Chrysanthemum, English ivy, Peace lily, Pothos, Scheffler
- Rodenticides – most commonly mouse/rat poisons
- Lawn and Garden Products
To help prevent accidental poisonings, keep medicines, household cleaners, pesticides, and automotive products stored and out of paw’s reach. Never give any medications or supplements to your pet without first consulting your veterinarian. And always read the label of flea/tick products before applying to your pet. If a product is labeled for dog use only, it can cause serious and often life-threatening side effects in cats.
Whether you decide to leave a product review, a Google Business Review or invite your friends to like the 4aPet Facebook page or group, participating in the contest is easy and fun.
Spoil Your Furry Friend
With a wide range of products, including food, toys, accessories and grooming products, 4aPet has everything you need to spoil your furry friend. And with the chance to win a R250 voucher, you can treat your pet to even more goodies. So why not participate in the contest and see if you can win big?
Share the Love
By participating in 4aPet's online contest, you're not only giving yourself the chance to win a voucher, but you're also helping to spread the love for this great pet store. By leaving a review or inviting your friends to follow their social media accounts, you're helping other pet owners discover the great products and services that 4aPet has to offer.
Simply do any one of these to stand a chance to win a R250 4aPet voucher:
- Leave a product review on 4aPet website https://4apet.co.za/
- Leave a Google business review on https://zurl.co/E6v0
- Invite your friends to the 4aPet Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/4aPet or to the 4aPet Facebook group here https://www.facebook.com/groups/4aPet
In conclusion, participating in 4aPet's online contest is an easy and fun way to win a R250 voucher to spend on your furry friend. Whether you decide to leave a product review, a Google Business Review or invite your friends to follow their social media accounts, you're not only increasing your chances of winning, but also helping to spread the word about this great pet store. So go ahead, participate in the contest and spoil your furry friend with some amazing products from 4aPet.
Interactive Dog Toy: The Talking Babble Ball is motion activated and talks, growls, and interacts with your pet