Tips for managing itchy skin allergies in dogs & cats
- April 16, 2019
- Ally Cohen
Pet skin and itching allergies can be treated and managed easily
Tips to help your pets skin allergy
- Use a flea repellent recommended by your vet to keep fleas and ticks under control. It takes only one flea to cause a reaction in an allergic pet!
- Feed your pet high quality food or an all natural diet without preservatives, additives and colourants
- Avoid making sudden changes to your pet’s diet. Gradually introduce new foods and then monitor what effect they have on your pet
- Include omega-3 fatty acid supplements or add sunflower or olive oil to your pet’s diet – helps to reduce itching and inflammation
- Make sure that your pet’s coat is clean by bathing him when necessary with a soothing shampoo
- Bathe your pet in oatmeal or Epsom salts to relieve itching
- Use products specifically prescribed for your pet’s skin type and avoid using human and over-the-counter products
- Make sure that pets with long haired coats are clipped or shaved to make bathing easier
- Brush your dog or cat’s coat daily to prevent matting and increase circulation
- Avoid exposing your pet to allergens and irritants such as pollen, dust mites, chemicals, household detergents, pesticides or fertilizers
- Keep your pet’s living area clean by disinfecting regularly
Is Benadryl safe for dogs?
Benadryl is a great medication for use in dogs with mild-to-moderate allergies. Seasonal allergies, food allergies, environmental allergies, and allergic reactions to snake and insect bites all respond to Benadryl in most cases.
Cooler weather can aggravate your pooches arthritis symptoms. While there is no cure for arthritis in dogs, here are seven things you can do to help relieve the pain, stiffness, joint popping and other symptoms.
There are many reasons why a cat might pee outside the litter box, but with a little investigation you should be able to determine what needs to be done to stop your cat’s inappropriate urination. Here are the top 10 ways to stop your cat from peeing outside the cat litter box.
If you’re dealing with a pet stain on your carpet, deep cleaning can usually bring your carpet back to great condition. Try these following tips to help you neutralize the odour and remove the pet stains from your carpet.